Monday, May 16, 2005

weekend stuff

I'm back at work and winding back into stress mode, but first a round-up of the weekend tox/detox.

Friday was fairly chill because we all went out for lunch and had drinks at work for a colleague's leaving-do. After work, went off to a bar for a couple of pints and a burger. Got in by 8:30/9:00 and finally got to watch one of the Yimou Zhang movies I've had out for a couple of weeks. I hadn't realized that the man who directed Hero (and House of Flying Daggers) was the same guy who directed Raise the Red Lantern - two of my very favorite movies. The second my brain put that together, I went and added every one of his movies that LOVEFiLM has to my rental queue. Friday night was Happy Times. Sentimental but sweet. Not on my need to see again list, but I'm glad I watched it once. The IMDB review's pretty much spot-on. Anyways, went to bed at 11:30, which turned out to be a very good thing given what happened Saturday.

Saturday started off low-key enough. Got up pretty early. Had coffee, read Time Out while listening to football stuff flatmate-Noel had on. Had a shower and some ramen. Watched the other Zhang movie, Not One Less. It's also very sentimental but I liked it much better than Happy Times. It had more of the Zhang coloring that I love so much. Got the drycleaning and some groceries. Made pasta for me and flatmate-Julia. Watched Charmed and got ready to go out.

We went to the Tate Britain to see the (now closed) Turner Whistler Monet exhibit, which was, well ok. I don't know. As I get older and see more stuff I get more and more annoyed with Monet. I really enjoyed everything by Turner and Whistler but was basically just bothered by the Monets (uck - neon orange suns). Seriously, I think his popularity has less to do with his skill (which I'm not denying) and more to do with the pretty pinks and lavenders that make for good wall posters. Still it was fun to go out with flatmates-Carly & Kevin and flatmate-Julia's friend. We left the Tate to go to the neighborhood Elephant & Castle, where I hadn't been before and really don't plan on going again, to a party Carly's friend Marina was throwing. It was a costume party (heroes and legends) which helped fuel the fire for the planning of our house party in July. Anyways, flatmate-Jerry came with girlfriend-Ayesha and Julia showed up with her boss so we were all there except Noel PLUS a couple more guests of ours meant that we basically invaded the party. Julia and I finally left at 5:00 AM, with the others close behind us, which is incredible given that I rarely stay out past 1:00.

This, of course, lead to a serious problem with getting up in the morning. Carly woke me up at noon because we'd all agreed to go to The Peasant for brunch. The girls managed but the guys didn't, which was actually really nice. We swapped stories from the night before and laughed at our silliness. We headed back home and had some tea (they really drink a lot. it's not a just a stereotype) and watched the OC (in case you're wondering, we're only up to when Seth and Summer get back together and Alex and Marissa break-up). Then sleep just couldn't be ignored, so I went to bed for a couple of hours. Got up in time for Dominos and Empire of Dreams, followed by The Last Crusade, then the top 100 war movies (clearly voted on by a bunch of Brits). Couldn't sleep. Now I'm tired.

But, the weekend was pretty much exactly what I needed. I've got to crank things back up now, but I really feel bunches better.

Last but not least: everyone say "Happy Birthday" to Lee. Hi Lee!

1 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Lee!
Vicki Barnes (mommie)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home